KASHISH 2013: Highlights
The fourth edition of KASHISH Mumbai International Queer Film Festival promises five days of LGBT movies from around the world simultaneously at two venues, panel discussions, dialogues with international film makers and conversations with emerging Indian filmmakers who make films on queer themes.
Key Highlights for this year will be:
* 132 films, from 40 countries.
* This year, the ‘Country Focus’ will be on China with more than 12 films from there.
* `Filmmaker in Focus’ is US filmmaker and activist Jim Hubbard, who will be travelling to India to be present at KASHISH 2013.
* Queer films from Iran, Serbia, Slovakia, Pakistan and Morocco and will be screened at KASHISH 2013.
* LGBT themed films in regional languages.
* The “competition section’’ will showcase films which will be judged by an eminent international jury Panel.
* The international jury comprises filmmaker ArunaRaje, Bollywood actor & model Simone Singh, theatre director Quasar ThakorePadamsee, author and poet Jerry Pinto and Iris Prize festival director Berwyn Rowlands.
* Best Narrative Feature film wins a cash award of Rs 30,000 and Best Indian Short films wins a cash prize of Rs 20,000 both sponsored by Bollywood actor AnupamKher and his acting school Actor Prepares.
* Best Actor in a Lead Role award instituted this year by Bollywood actor AnupamKher and his acting school Actor Prepares.
* Other awards are Best Documentary Feature, Best Documentary Shorts and Best International Narrative Shorts
* Opening Film The Parade from Serbia
* Closing film is RituparnoGhosh”sChitrangada: The Crowning Wish
* The Best Indian queer short film at KASHISH gets to compete for the Iris Prize in UK which carries a cash prize of 25,000 pounds.