KASHISH Mumbai International Queer Film Festival is now accepting film submissions for its 8th edition to be held from May 24 – 28, 2017 at two venues – Liberty Cinema and Alliance Francaise de Bombay.
Filmmakers / Producers / Distributors across the world are invited to submit features, documentaries and short films that highlight / focus on Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer (LGBTQ) themes and expressions.
There is NO SUBMISSION FEE to submit the film to the festival. Also the festival DOES NOT PAY SCREENING FEE since it invests its limited resources in showcasing the films to the best possible extent.
ALL FILMS NEED TO PERTAIN TO LGBT STORIES (LESBIAN, GAY, BISEXUAL, TRANSGENDER). PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT IF YOUR FILM DOESN’T PERTAIN TO THIS.
KASHISH Mumbai International Queer Film Festival is the first and only LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer) film festival in India to be held in a mainstream theater, and the first LGBTQ film festival in India to receive clearance from the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
Over the previous 7 editions, from 2010 to 2016, the festival has grown from strength to strength, attracting close to 8500 footfalls over the 4 1/2 days of the festival at two/three venues. The festival, every year, has screened from 110 films to 180 films that include shorts, documentaries, features – all centered around LGBTQ themes.
KASHISH is now considered one of Mumbai’s prominent cultural event and is the biggest LGBTQ film festival in South Asia. KASHISH was voted as one of the top 5 coolest LGBTQ film festivals in the world by a worldwide poll conducted by MovieMaker Magazine in 2013.
KASHISH 2017 Festival Theme: Diverse, One
The theme of KASHISH 2017 explores the diversity of the LGBTQ community. The diverse shades of the rainbow remind us that as people we are all different and we are all unique. In the fight for an equal society, basic human rights and against laws that criminalize and discriminate, it is our shared values that bring us together. We are strongest when we come together, when we embrace one another’s uniqueness and celebrate our differences. We are diverse, We are One.
Note: This is only the overall festival theme and all films need not coincide with the theme. The festival programs a broad range of films with diverse LGBTQ themes.
For further information visit
Awards & Prizes
The festival has both competitive and non-competitive categories.
Films completed after January 1, 2016 and not screened in Mumbai before KASHISH 2017 will be eligible to be considered for competition. However the final selection of films in competition is decided by the preview panel based on the content & quality of the film.
To be considered as a MUMBAI PREMIERE, the film should NOT have screened in MUMBAI at any film festival, community or NGO screening before KASHISH 2017.
If it is screened in Mumbai anywhere before the festival, it will NOT be eligible for competition, but may still be considered for playing in non-competitive category.
The competition categories are:
Best Narrative Feature, Best Documentary Feature, Best Documentary Short, Best International Narrative Short, Best Indian Narrative Short, Riyad Wadia award for Best Emerging Indian Filmmaker, Best Performance in a Lead Role and QDrishti Film Grant.
The winners will be selected by a panel of eminent jury. The decision of the jury will be final and is indisputable.
Rules & Terms
TERMS & CONDITIONS:
1. Filmmakers / Producers / Distributors across the world can submit features, documentaries and short films that highlight / focus on Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer themes and expressions.
2. There is NO SUBMISSION FEE to submit the film to the festival.
Also the festival DOES NOT PAY SCREENING FEE since it invests its limited resources in showcasing the films to the best possible extent.
3. All films SHOULD be subtitled in English. We prefer English language films too with subtitles or close-captioned for access by hearing impaired audience members.
4. Only films completed after January 1, 2014 can be submitted to the festival.
5. Films with a running time below and upto of 50 minutes will be considered in Short Film category.
6. Filmmaker / producer / distributor certifies that the person holds the rights for submission of film to the festival.
7. A submission will be considered complete only after the festival has received the film’s preview copy through FilmFreeWay.
IMP: Please enable download since the preview panel previews films offline and together. This is a must for preview
8. DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: February 12, 2017
But the festival encourages early submission, since previews begin mid November.
9. Selected applicants will be notified by email by March 31, 2017.
10. The festival screens ONLY High Definition (HD) digital files. Upon selection, the festival requires a HD Digital file in resolution 1920 x 1080 codec H.264 mp4 or mov upto 2GB.